Star Wars, Doctor Who and Dragonlance

I just started reading Dragons of Spring Dawning (for the third time).  The first time I got halfway through the book and maybe about a quarter the second time.  There is nothing wrong with the book but I ran into some financial problems when I was reading it for the first time and got too stressed to continue reading.  Even after I got out of the difficulty a couple of weeks later, I lost interest in the book.  The second time, I just got side-tracked with another excellent series.

So far with the book, I am about 100 pages in and am going strong.  I think taking a short break after reading books in a series helps.  I think that by binge reading, you lose interest.

Now I have also taken an interest in the Star Wars books.  When I first saw Star Wars when it came out in 1977, I was enthralled.  Even today, I say it is one of the best-if not the best-movies I have ever seen. I own the three paperbacks of the three original movies which I have read years ago.  I was surprised when I went to a flea market and found out that there are other books as well.  Then after further investigation, I found out that there are over 200 books based on the Star Wars Universe.  So I am making it a goal to read each one.  I know they are written by numerous authors.  So it would be reasonable to assume that some books are better than others.  So far, I have read Star Wars (George Lucas) and Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Alan Dean Foster).  This was actually meant to be a second movie following the original.  George Lucas wasn't sure how Star Wars was going to do in the theater.  So he wanted Alan Dean Foster to write a book that would be a low budget film.  It shows that Mr. Lucas was not cocky or over-confident.  I'm glad that Star Was was a blockbuster because, even though this book was good, I think the movie would have been okay at best.  I am going to continue reading these.  It is probably best to read them in the order they were published.

I have read many Doctor Who books in the past and enjoyed them.  I am also making a goal to read each one.  I know the number of books out there are probably more than the amount of Star Wars and Dragonlance combined.

So the way I am going to read these series so I do not get burned out on them, is to alternate books.  Many of the Star Wars books and Dragonlance books are broken down in smaller series.  For example, the next three Star War books are the Han Solo Trilogy and many of the Dragonlance books are broken down in Trilogies.  The Doctor Who books are mostly stand alone books.  So after I read one Star Wars Trilogy, I will work on on the next Dragonlance one.  Then I will read several Doctor Who books.  Those books are fairly short so maybe 6 books will do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its has been a while.

Reading Book Series

Rereading Dragons of Spring Dawning